Wednesday 8 May 2024

SQUIRRELS, BUTTERFLIES, and a BLACKBIRD.


This weeks post is an assortment of photos taken on my balcony and in the orchard. Most were captures taken in April but there are a few which were taken this month. 



A few squirrel captures taken recently.




This is a favourite spot for the squirrels to rest in the shade.





It rained continuously in April, and this squirrel got a little wet.


The male "Blackbird".

 
It's smooth mellow tone is melodic, and it's so pleasing to listen to in the early hours of the morning, so different from it's raucous alarm call which almost sounds like it's laughing loudly as it flies away.


It is a very shy bird, and prefers to keep hidden in the bushes.


One morning a very wet and hungry Blackbird came to eat from the plate. It is not a flattering image, but then we wouldn't look our best had we been caught in the rain and hadn't eaten our breakfast.


The orange and tangerine trees are almost bare of fruit, but soon ...


It will be time to pick the sweet cherries from the one cherry tree in  the orchard near my studio where there are Golden Delicious apples.


This huge tree grows in the orchard and If anyone stood underneath 
from where I was standing they would only look 1 centimetre tall, It is magnificently lofty, and it's just always been there. 


This is another mystery. This large plant appeared in the orchard this year. It's pale flowers at first glance look rather insignificant but on closer inspection as you will see in the next photo, they are curiously interesting


With help from my blog friends I now know the ID of this flower.
It is a Solarnum moutitanium 
.

I saw large areas of wild strawberries, which grow in the orchard every year, but although I'm tempted to pick some, I leave them for the birds.


"The Small Heath" butterfly was flitting around the edges of the orchard


"The Small Heath" preferred pieces of wood to alight on rather     than  flowers. Nearly all the butterflies I saw were on the ground.         


A Speckled Wood butterfly seen as I was leaving the orchard.


I believe this is another Speckled Wood, but a rather washed out looking butterfly, pausing on a large piece of orange peel seen as I left the orchard, and then I made my way up to the house, a steep climb for me but if I climb slowly stopping occasionally, I get there. 


The Blackbird comes every day to the feeders as it is feeding it's chicks, and takes as much food as will fit in it's beak each time. It is a novelty for me to see a Blackbird, as I only see them at this time of the year, although they are residents they keep to themselves.


I saw this "Red Admiral" near the hedge and was delighted with this discovery.


I think this may be another Speckled Wood seen in the orchard.


This Red Admiral was on the top step of the split level part of the garden, and I was going to walk down the steps when I noticed it was there.


I focused my camera on it without wavering, willing it to open it's wings.and so it did. I expect the warm stone felt good after the rain.


It extended it's wings to the maximum and I took one last photo.

31 comments:

Irma said...

What a beautiful series of photos this is.
The squirrel is my favorite, I think they are very cute animals.
Greetings Irma

NatureFootstep said...

wow, I love everything in your post today :) :)
I too have seen the first Red Admiral :)

roentare said...

The squirrels and the butterfly look so good

MadSnapper said...

your squirrel photos are AMAZING! I feel like I could stroke is furs.. fat and healthy and cute! the crow is pretty. I have never heard birdsong from our crows, only the yelling. that tree is unlike any I have ever seen and I love it. My favorite of all butterflies is the red admiral. they are here now but only 2. I like them because if I stand still in the bright sun they come and sit on my clothing, arms, face, hair. it is a beautiful feeling to feel there tiny feet on my skin..

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your prowess as a nature photographer is on display again, Sonjia, with a delightful assortment of subjects. What an impish little character is that squirrel, and the blackbird, even a little bedraggled looks very handsome indeed. I am going to play his song to refresh my memory. I remember from my visits that it is exceptionally melodic and beautiful. Tackling that steep hill with a rest or two to take a breath is the way to do it. Finally, how could I not acknowledge that huge tree. It is MAGNIFICENT. Many hugs and kisses - David

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sonjia,
Lovely collection of photos. The cute squirrel and pretty blackbird.
The butterflies are beautifully captured. Pretty flowers and a yummy berry! A wonderful collection of nature photos. Take care, have a wonderful day!

Marit said...

Dear Sonjia :)
Your pictures are so beautiful and they almost take my breath away!
I just love these cute squirrels. They are so nice to be visited by.
The blackbird sings so beautifully in the evening, and it is so nice to listen to it.
You also have such beautiful pictures of the butterflies. I have hardly seen a single butterfly here this spring. The red admiral butterfly usually comes here in August.

The large tree is very similar to something called Solanum. I have had it as a plant outside in the garden, but it had to be brought inside in the winter. It had exactly the same flowers as the one you show. Here it is called potato flower, and it is related to both tomatoes and potatoes. Hope my information can help you!

All the best to you my dear friend!
Lots of hugs!
Marit

Noke said...

Schöne Bilderserie die Bilder von dem Eichhörnchen sind klasse.
Gruß
Noke

Marie Smith said...

We saw three different butterflies yesterday too. They looked tattered compared to those you captured. Beautiful photos!

sami niilola said...

Squirrels are so cute. Thanks for the great photos.

Rostrose said...

Dear Sonjia, oh WOW,
you had and still have lots of visitors on the balcony and in the garden! I'm amazed by the variety of butterflies - and I'm not surprised that so many birds visit you. They know you're a great, nice person and even let them have your strawberries. (To be honest, I don't like sharing my strawberries ;-))
The squirrels are adorable - a sight that unfortunately doesn't exist here - which makes me enjoy your beautiful photos all the more. The mighty tree is truly a stunning sight! (And it is certainly home to countless animals!) The interesting plant is definitely a Solanum, I think it's a Solanum mautitanium...
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/05/rostrosen-alltag-nach-der-reise.html

Michelle said...

I love that squirrel, so handsome!

Angie's Recipes said...

I totally love those shots of squirrels...so adorable!

Mike Attwood said...

Dear Sonjia, I love the red squirrel, I have to travel about 170m miles before I see one. Stay well,
Mike.

DeniseinVA said...

A fabulous series, thank you so much Sonjia! Your photos are so sharp and clear, absolutely stunning! A delight to look at all of them. Thank you, always a great pleasure to visit dear friend!

Jeanie said...

Apart from when they get in the bird feeder, I love the squirrels. And your photos of this one are exquisite -- so detailed. You can see his wonderful personality and every fur! I love all the pix but especially these.

David James Slater said...

My Dear Sonjia,
Another wonderful selection of photographs.What a variety of flowers,fruit trees,birds and butterflies you have to enjoy. My modest 4 branch bird feeder pales by comparison. I refilled the meal worm column yesterday and this morning they had all gone, eaten mostly by the carrion crows and starlings. I have attracted one hedge sparrow so far.It seems a poor return for my investment so no photos!

Germán Ibarra Zorrilla said...

Un reportaje fantástico, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos. Saludos desde el norte de España.

Debbie said...

what a great series of images. your squirrels are adorable and have a much different appearance than ours. great pictures of the blackbird, and really stunning images of the butterflies!! i am glad you got to see my "home raised" butterflies!! have a lovely weekend!!

This N That said...

I love the tufts on the squirrels ears. Cute! Great butterfly shots. I always have trouble with them... they go away too quickly..
Have a happy weekend

Veronica Lee said...

Such a delightful series of photos, Sonjia.
The butterflies are enchanting, but the squirrels steal the show.

Have a great weekend!

Tom said...

...you have Bugweed, Solanum mauritianum which is an alien invasive weed, remove and destroy!!! Red Admiral have been the first butterflies that we have seen this year, what a treat. Sonjia, take care and be well.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sonjia,
A beautiful post. The squirrel is adorable!
I love all your butterfly images, I am not seeing many butterflies here yet.
Wonderful captures of the Blackbird, I love the shot of it singing.
A lovely series of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

RedPat said...

Your squirrels are so cute and very photogenic. I hear our local Re-wing Blackbird a lot but usually can't locate it. You are lucky to spot yours so often. Have a great week.

Barwitzki said...

You took wonderful photos of squirrels, blackbirds and butterflies. And the cherries and wild strawberries are already ripe... from May 20th we will have the first strawberries in the field, provided the weather stays warm. I'm really looking forward to the harvest... then there will be strawberry jelly cake, jam and lots of fresh berries... wonderful.
Viola sends you happy greetings And I'm excited about the singing blackbird...

John's Island said...

Dear Sonjia :-)
Your post filled with snapshots from your balcony and orchard is a delightful read! It’s fascinating to see how much activity and wildlife one can spot just from a balcony. The stories you’ve shared about the squirrels, the blackbird, and even the unexpected visitor like the Solanum moutitanium plant add a personal touch. Your description of the sounds and sights of early morning with the blackbird's song sets a serene scene that I can almost hear. Also, your restraint in not picking the wild strawberries shows a deep respect for the natural world, allowing the birds to enjoy them instead. I’m looking forward to seeing what appears next in your orchard and on your balcony. Keep those beautiful stories and photos coming!
John
PS Thank you for your kind comments on my blog!

Shiju Sugunan said...

What a lovely wildlife haven! The blackbird and squirrel are especially sweet. Sounds like a beautiful place to relax and enjoy nature.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

That has to be the blackest blackbird I have ever seen. Ours have a black/purple hew. I am so looking forward to fruit/vegetable season.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You had such good lighting for the cute squirrel. And i always love the backgrounds of photos and how they can compliment the shot! Well done!

Teresa said...

Un gran y precioso reportaje, has hecho unas fotografías preciosas, me encanta todo. Perdón por no pasar antes, estoy convaleciente de mi prótesis de rodilla. Un abrazo.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You see so much beauty from your balcony and then even more when you walk your orchard and grounds. Thank you for sharing it all! Lovely butterflies and I'm impressed with your skills at identifying them -- I have enough trouble with birds that I haven't even really tried to recognize different butterflies.

The wet Blackbird actually looks quite well for being caught in a downpour! I'm sure he was glad to get to your deck for a nice breakfast in a dry place.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...