Wednesday 21 February 2024

SMALL CREATURES

 A couple of weeks ago I had some new visitors to my balcony, it gave me the opportunity to photograph some creepy crawlies that run very fast, and a few other interesting creatures. First of all I'll start by sharing two tiny lizards that after hibernation came out of their hiding places to warm themselves in the sun 


These two types of lizards are common Wall Lizards.

They are very small creatures.


These three images are of the same lizard.


Three images of the other Wall Lizard


The Wall Lizard found a nice warm place to sleep inside my feeder. 


It had already had a snooze when I took these photos and if you look closely you can see the yellow sclera. The Wall Lizard was aware of my presence and is looking at me with a suspicious sideways glance.


The male Stag Beetle.


The male Stag Beetle appear to have huge antlers but they are actually over-sized mandibles used in courtship displays, and to wrestle other male beetles.


There was just enough daylight to capture this tiny field mouse   attracted by all the left over crumbs.


Because it was beginning to rain and the front flap of the swing cover was up, I went outside to cover my swing seat and saw this millipede which had been under the cover.


It curled up when it sensed I was near, Both the millipede and the centipede have poor or none existent vision, and rely on vibrations or shadows to alert them to another presence.


Their body is made up of segments and each segment has two sets of legs positioned directly under the body, whilst the centipede has one set of legs per segment positioned on the side of the body. 


A Centipede on the ceiling. I don't like centipedes because they bite, and also in Spring they sometimes appear inside my house.


The Stink Bug flew to a planter after I had taken the photos, but it has probably flown away by now. 






This unknown spider gave me a fright when I almost put my hand on it.When we had a spell of good weather I opened up the front of the cover which prevents my swing from getting wet, so that I could sit outside on my swing but when rain was forecast I unrolled it and let it down ready to zip up to cover up my swing again, the spider was low down near the zip. It must have been hiding between the cover and canopy, then being disturbed ran down towards the ground. I took these photos then saw it run really quickly under the cover again! I can't kill spiders, but also don't like the idea of it being where I sometimes have a siesta after lunch.










I took rather a lot of photos of this large spider for identification purposes but it is still unidentified., does anyone know it's ID? 
 
My thanks to Tom, "Tom The Backroad Traveler" for giving me the  ID. It is an  Anyphaena Accentuata. It's common name is Buzzing Spider.




So you don't have nightmares:=) I am sharing a most unusual orchid flower made up of small star shaped flowers. I took this photo years ago when it was on the lounge windowsill. Since then it was moved upstairs to my balcony where it seems to be doing well. I know it doesn't look like an orchid,but the friend who gave it to me assured me that it was but I have forgotten it's identity.  :=(


Look everyone, especially Marit, gardener extraordinaire, :=)) there are three new red leaves appearing right at the bottom, and I am overjoyed to see them. Both images are a little out of focus, but I wanted to end this post in a less creepy way, and as the orchid was put on my balcony recently,three months ago in fact I thought it was the ideal way to finish my post. It seems I was misinformed by my friend who gave it to me at least 30 years ago. It is not an orchid at all but a Hoya plant and mine is named Hoya Carnosa. My thanks to my dear blog friend Marit for giving me the correct identity. 

37 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

They are amazing critters. I love insects.

roentare said...

All these critters are lovely to see. I love the beetle the best

Marie Smith said...

Great shots of the creepy crawlies. We are a ways from having them out and about!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

No, no, no. I was okay with the lizard, then things progressively creepier ending with my nemesis, the spider. I had to scroll quickly by that one and not even pause to look at it.

Angie's Recipes said...

How cool is that to have lizards on your balcony! They are lovely.

Marit said...

Hello dear Sonjia :)

I'm sorry to say, but I hate animals who crawls. They are all very creepy! I'm very afraid of them. Still your photos of them are very beautiful. In my garden for some years ago, I had visit of a worm/snake. It's not poisonous, but it scares me a lot.

I hope you don't be too disappointed, but your plant is not an orchid. It's a very beautiful plant who is named Hoya carnosa. It can be a very old. My grandmother had a plant like that for many years. The color of the red leaf will after a while change to green. They have a wonderful scent.

It rains here today, and I hope all the snow here will melt soon. I'm so tired of this winter.

Take care, and I wish you a beautiful day.
Many warm hugs to you dear blogfriend.
Marit

Irma said...

What a great series of photos these are Sonjia.
Very special to have lizards on your balcony, we don't have that here, they usually live on the heath or another landscape.
I enjoyed your photos.
Greetings Irma

MadSnapper said...

we love our lizards and our brown anoles are almost identical to your wall lizard, and might be distant kin. i have dozens of photos of them. your skills with your camera have made the insect beautiful. I like all of them but the spider, but do not want them ON me.. I do have conversations with the lizards and often apoligize to them when I scare them away from their food source. I would kill spiders but since i have bob to do it for me, i scream bring the fly spot if they are in the house. outside i leave them alone, far away alone

David James Slater said...

Dear Sonjia, A great variety of interesting creatures but they are not my favourite subjects.Wondrerful pics which demonstrate your skill.

Richard Pegler said...

Hello Sonjia!

I love your photographs of the delightful creatures that you have visiting you. I would be over the moon to see a lizard in our garden. I am very fond of lizards (and snakes!). I have never seen a Stag Beetle, but would love to do so - they do occur in England.

My very best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

Michelle said...

These are great photos. Also great detail!

Nick Morgan said...

Hi Sonjia. I love your selection of "small things"! We have Common lizards here, but I bet they will remain in hibernation for at least another month. I had completely forgotten about the long legged centipedes. I used to see them a lot when we lived in France. I have to agree, I am not so fond of them!
Your orchid. Is it a kind of Hoya? Andrea from the Philippines used to blog regularly about hers. I think she has switched to Facebook now.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for sharing these critters.
Out of all of them I think I preferred seeing the lizards.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Definitely some creepy crawlies, none of which I am particularly fond, although I say hats off to you for some wonderful photos despite the subject matter! I'm glad you wrapped up with the orchids!

This N That said...

Nice pictures as always, although I don’t seem to be very fond of the subject matter…… except for maybe the mouse. Not a fan of lizards, Beatles. And things that end in EDE or PEDE! The flowers were pretty, but I’m not sure what they are. Enjoy your weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sonjia,

Creepy crawlies, indeed. I love the lizards and some spiders I do not mind.
The Stag Beetle looks interesting. We have the stink bugs here too, they have a nasty smell. Your Hoya plant is pretty, love the blooms. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

Mae Travels said...

Your choice is imaginative: to take photos of common critters that are usually ignored by photographers. I’m glad you now know the ID of your plant, and I hope some experts let you know the names of the creepy crawlies too.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Penelope Notes said...

These are great! Your photos are unique in that we live by these creepy crawly creatures but rarely see them in such a compassionate way.

Iris Flavia said...

Great collection! I admit, though...anything more than four legs I run away (if I can).

Tom said...

...yes, Google Lens ids your orchid as Common Hoya and the spider as Anyphaena accentuata. This week it looks like you could use a pest control expert. Sonjia, I wish you a wonderful week, take care and be well.

Phil Slade said...

Hello Sonjia. It's good to see and to hear that spring has sprung in your part of the world. Here we are a few more weeks away although we never see the variety of creepy crawlies you have in Portugal. I never knew that centipedes could bite. "Live and learn".

It was interesting that you know Ponteverda and visited there. When I looked it up on Google I must say that it looked a really nice and a somewhat different place for a long weekend, authentic and unspoilt by tourism. Have a sunny weekend in your warm place.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Sometimes we overlook those little creepy crawlers! But they are there and it's fun to take the time to spot them. I love learning what they are too! Enjoy your weekend!

RedPat said...

I don't mind creepy crawlers outside but don't like it when they get in the house and decide to sit down with me.
I have a Hoya that is at least that old too that a dear friend gave me. I should try putting it out on the deck for the summer.
Have a good week.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful series of critters and your newly identified plant photo is lovely ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

blogmeradosti.bogspot.com said...

To jsou opravdu moc zdařilé fotoúlovky.

Veronica Lee said...

Your balcony sounds like a bustling ecosystem!
It's fascinating to see all these small creatures up close And your photos capture their intricacies beautifully, even if some of them give me the heebie-jeebies, like the centipede and spider.

Hugs and blessings, Sonjia

sami niilola said...

Wonderful little creatures.

Shiju Sugunan said...

This mix of creepy crawlies and beautiful flowers is unique.

Teresa said...

Me encantó tu reportaje, como sabes a mí también me gusta fotografiar toda clase de bichos. Marit, ya te ha informado sobre tu flor de cera Hoya carnosa, también es preciosa. Un abrazo.

Mike Attwood said...

And I thought my night-time visitors were something special. I hate to think of yours paying a visit to your room. Take care Sonjia.

J. S. Vila said...

The garden is full of Life. Very nice photographs reporting It. The lizard fast and stilized appears suddenly in all the gardens. Have a nice day.

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for sharing your visitors my friend. I find all creatures in nature absolutely fascinating. So nice to see the buds on your new plant. I am always grateful for the help with ID's from my blogging friends. Have a wonderful week!

Debbie said...

you got some great pictures of our small creepy crawlers. i find lizards fascinating but bugs not as much. the picture of the beetle is really stunning, so much detail!! i hope you are having a good week!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I rather like observing "creepy crawlers" so would have no nightmares from seeing your excellent pictures. I do agree with you that I'd rather find them than have them find me, if that makes sense. (Certainly wouldn't want spiders sneaking up on me while I nap!) Very interesting about the hoya plant. And you have good blog friends to help you with IDS on plants and spiders both!

Bob Bushell said...

Hi Sonjia
Beautiful part of Portugal. There are so many species, all precious. I looks at the Lizard favourite.

NatureFootstep said...

lol, love the lizzsards. :)

LoveT. said...

The photos are awesome, you have a good eye for the nature.
A Brown Squirrel, in Vienna we have much Grey and black Squirrel.
I am a new Follower.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...