Tuesday 6 February 2024

AVIAN FRIENDS

Hello again! I took some time off blogging for a while as I didn't feel too well, my knee was really painful. So much so, that I could not concentrate to make a post or visit anyone..There were days when I felt confused and unable to function normally, Except for taking photos  I just wanted to get into bed and rest.

Last week we had severe storms and the relentless rainfall and grim dark days made photography impossible,however this week was a lot better, with some rain, but it was mostly sunny. I have chosen some photos that were taken in sequence, whilst others are birds I was able to capture either in trees or on my balcony  Last week I had ten Greenfinch on my balcony, and another visit from a squirrel. The little Firecrest keeps coming but I only managed to capture two decent images as it doesn't  stay on the balcony long enough.for me to focus. The little wooden box where the Firecrest used to feed from has been taken over by a colony of small black ants so none of the birds like to feed from it, as the ants crawl up their legs and get into their feathers, but I have noticed that the Firecrest will feed from the ground so I sprinkle some cake crumbs in a corner of the balcony and it isn't long before the shy Firecrest appears, hiding in the shadows.

I have taken numerous Greenfinch photos, and some other bird images that I hope you will enjoy, Will is amongst them, as he waits for me to fill the feeders every morning and appears shortly after. I have also included rather a lot of images of him and Wilma. :=) One day as I was looking out of the window a Treecreeper appeared  on the tree trunk where I see the Greenfinch perching in the branches, but although I took photos they were all  blurred. It's almost the same colour as the tree, camouflaging he Treecreeper, so I have nothing to show for my efforts. I also discovered that although the Great Spotted Woodpecker is colourful it can be deceptively obscure at times. I wait for it's arrival, only to observe it has been hiding behind a tree branch all the time, it's red underparts out of view. The European Jay stops at the balcony on occasion, and I take full advantage of these precious moments. and have many photos to share.



Early morning.


Four Blue-tit images in sequence.









Crested-Tit






Coal -tit.


The Green finch always like to perch high up in the tree, so there are many narrow branches that get in the way of a good shot.














There he is, my favourite little guy Will.







The Firecrest. but no food., as the minute I fill it with cake it turns black with ants.







Hello Will!



More Will captures.












Will.



Wilma

 Notice the absence of red feathers on the back of the head.



There are dozens of Jays that come for the peanuts.


I never see them when the leaves are on the trees, so I delight in taking as many photos as I can.







Inquiring look from the Great-tit.


The Robin Red Breast posing on the  wooden box, but the box is empty.











33 comments:

sami niilola said...

Lovely birds. That first photo is amazing.

Marit said...

Dear Sonjia :)

It is so sad to read about your knee problems. I hope you get better soon! I've missed your blog, but then I know why you haven't posted there lately.
Your photos are always so beautiful. The blue tit is one of my favorite birds. Has the squirrel returned to you? They are some cute but mischievous creatures. I often have visitors from them here in my garden. The little red Robin is beautifully photographed. Take care and I hope your knee is mended soon.

Warm hugs from Marit

Richard Pegler said...

I'm so sorry to learn that you have had health problems again Sonjia. I hope that you are feeling better now. You certainly have managed to get many delightful shots with your camera. Firecrest, Jay, and Crested Tit would all have me doing a little dance for joy if I managed photos of them. And a Great Spotted Woodpecker in our garden would also result in similar activity as it is so long since one last visited us.

Best wishes - take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

MadSnapper said...

Will and Wilma, love the names and they are so precious. I like all the tits, all the different ones. they are so cute. I got blue sky this past week a lot like yours. the early morning sometimes appears to be dark navy blue

Marie Smith said...

Breathtaking indeed! Love the bird photos. Will and Wilma are beauties. Love that first photo especially!

roentare said...

welcome back. The birds look so gorgeous. You also bumped into some very nice moody clouds in the sky as well as mesmerising sunsets

Irma said...

I hope you will be relieved of the knee problems, pain is not fun, I know all about it with my shoulder.
You have photographed the birds beautifully, the crested tit is a great species that I never see where I live.
The squirrel is also cute, I love squirrels, I can only photograph them when I'm on holiday, they don't occur here in this part of the country.
Greetings Irma

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good morning, Sonjia: I am, of course, distressed that your body will not cooperate and leave you free from pain and discomfort. My influence with the gods who regulate such things has obviously waned, since I have done the dances and wailed the incantations , with no measurable effect. However, you have the joy of these wonderful birds coming to visit you, even an old married couple, and that handsome bachelor, Will. I think he has designs on you! And how could you resist him. Such a Lothario! Keep sharing your pictures with us, please. They bring happiness to all who see them. Hugs and kisses - David

La Biosfera de Lola said...

Querida Sonjia siento mucho que te encuentres mal y con dolores, te deseo una pronta recuperación. Muchas gracias por tan preciosas fotos de aves maravillosas. Un abrazo enorme y muchos besos.

Rostrose said...

Dear Sonjia, these are so many wonderful photos 🥰! I am very happy about your feathered visitors (and the squirell) and I would also like to thank you for the lovely comment you wrote to me on my blog. My comment will only be short, but at least you lured me to your blog during my blog break to look at your beautiful animal and nature photos 😊.
I hope you and your knee are feeling better!
Warm hugs😘🙋
Traude

Mike Attwood said...

Dear Sonjia, That is an impressive array of photo's from someone in pain and discomfort. I sincerely hope you are feeling better. Lots of love,
Mike.

Jeanie said...

These are spectacular, Sonija, and I love each and every one. I especially love those sweet tits, all of them. I don't see a lot of those here so it's extra fun. And all your birds are quite colorful! But I really think what I love most about this post -- more, even, than your wonderful photos -- is the fact that you are feeling better and now able to actually go shoot again, after the pain and all. This is the best news!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

They are all beautiful, but I think Will and Wilma are probably my favorites.

Teresa said...

Me alegra saber que te encuentras mejor. Las fotografías te quedaron preciosas, me encantan. Abrazos.

This N That said...

Sorry that you haven't been feeling well I'm glad that you're feeling better now. Probably all that rain did not help your knee at all.
Your photographs are beautiful. We don't see the blue tits here. Our finches are golden rather than green..... Actually we have a number of finch family birds. Is Will a woodpecker? He looks very much like our Downys.
Beautiful skies.
Enjoy your weekend.

David James Slater said...

You capture a mood and I feel that I am there with you. I dare not think how much you must spend on peanuts and seed. Have you thought of getting rid of the ants?

Shiju Sugunan said...

So glad you're feeling better! Sorry to hear about your knee. But it's wonderful to see you back in action with your camera, capturing these gorgeous birds.

Mae Travels said...

Your photos are beautiful. I love the way they show every feather!
I hope you enjoy better health from now on.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've been in so much pain. I hope it continues to improve and you feel better. These are especially beautiful photos. You see so many birds I 've never even heard of before. It's a treat to visit you!

John's Island said...

Hello Dear Sonija! 😊
I so enjoy your posts! It is completely understandable to take a break when health issues arise, but it's great to see you back and hear you're feeling better now. Your dedication to capturing nature's beauty, even amidst challenges like stormy weather and pesky ants, is truly admirable. Your photos are captivating, especially those of Will and Wilma!😊 Looking forward to seeing more of your stunning work!
John

RedPat said...

I'm glad that you are feeling better. The shots of birds that you got on your balcony are wonderful with all the feather details.
Have a good week.

Tom said...

...WOW, you are able to get up close and personal with your avian friends. Do they all have names? Take care and be well.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sonjia,
Your place attracts so many beautiful birds. I love them all, the cute Blue Tits, the Greenfinches are pretty and Firecrest is adorable. Will and Wilma are favorites too, I love the woodpeckers. The Robin and the Jay are more favorites. Great post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

carol l mckenna said...

wow! Fantastic photography of the beautiful birds ~ you photograph them so well ~ Hard to pick a favorite ~ they are all wonderful ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased to read that you are feeling better.

The photographs you've shared of birds, sky and squirrel are WONDERFUL, I have scrolled up and down quite a few times admiring them.

Do take care of yourself.

All the best Jan

Barwitzki said...

You took some wonderful photos... as great as Will holding that peanut in his beak, you can see how small he actually is.
The jays also come to my birdhouse.
All good wishes for you and hug from Viola.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Incredible bird (and squirrel) shots. I am still trying to figure out to take decent photos when birds are in the branches. Plus the little buggers move around (don't they know that makes it hard on me?).

Lea said...

Beautiful birds!
I hope your knee pain is lots better.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

So good to see your beautiful balcony birds Sonjia. Your pictures are all wonderful as always. The blue tit actually looks like he is posing especially for you (I'm sure he's saying thank you for the banquet!). And I love seeing Will and Wilma and that you recognize them I am not surprised! So happy you are feeling well enough to take and share these great images. (And especially that you are well enough to keep those feeders filled -- that's not an easy task.)

Bob Bushell said...

Sonjya, I am truly sorry for your knee, I hope it feel better now.
Great photos of birds, especially the Jays, fantastic.

Linda said...

Wonderful photos! Glad you are feeling better. Take care.

Barwitzki said...

My settings weren't right because I was traveling anonymously...
if you're with me too, lots of love from Viola.
Hug

Lasse said...

Wonderful bird portraits ! And really amazing to recognize all the birds as the same up here
in the cold north;)
Greetings Lasse

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...