Saturday 11 March 2023

THE GREYLAG GOOSE

We are experiencing torrential rain and cold blustery winds. Last night my watering can which had water inside, and a long handled brush and pan, were blown from one side of my balcony to the other, and the branch that held one of my hanging feeders snapped and to my dismay I couldn't find the metal feeder anywhere on my balcony  so eventually when the rainstorm became less intense I went outside and found it on the ground covered in soggy soil. I went to find my trusty grabber and managed to dislodge it from where it had fallen in the middle of a Camellia bush. I was so pleased to find it in tact, as over the years it's the only one that has stood the test of time, except for the base, which a squirrel managed to unscrew from both sides where it was held in place, and ran away with it. I heard a noisy commotion outside my small bedroom window, and could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the squirrel with the base in it's mouth. then it scampered away over the roof. After trying several lids from my jars and tins of face cream, I discovered that the lid of a small Nivea tin fitted perfectly, and my daughter in law Paula who likes fixing things went to my late husband's workshop and found the tools with which to punch four holes around the sides and the wire to hold it in place.


This is the feeder with the original base.


This is my feeder now.


I always bang on the window when I see the squirrels at the feeder


On Tuesdays my daughter Eva comes for lunch, and if the weather is good we go for a drive. It had just stopped raining, so after lunch we set off without any particular destination in mind, but it didn't matter as it's always nice to be with my daughter anywhere. As Eva drove down the road we suddenly saw a fox near the gate of a nearby house, so we stopped and I got out of the car to take photos. It soon became apparent however that it was not a live fox but a taxidermized fox. The lady of the house saw our interest in the fox, and told us it was twenty three years old, and she had put it outside for an airing.



We decided to stay close to home, in case it started raining again, and went to the park in the centre of town where we saw various pigeons.


Eva spotted the sleeping pigeons before I did.


I photographed them individually for a closer look.



This pigeon looked so cosy in the niche it had found.


The park is really small. You can walk through it in any direction in just five minutes. There were three geese by the pond, two Greylag geese and one Domestic goose. I took several photos of the Greylag geese to share, and just three of the white Domestic goose. 
 


The only birds we saw apart from the pigeons were blackbirds, plus sparrows, and finches but the blackbirds I can capture at home, and the sparrows and finches were difficult to capture as they were in the bushes and trees.


The scientific name for the Greylag goose is anser anser



We were standing on the bridge over the pond, looking down at the geese, so to get a better perspective, I decided just to make portraits.


We used to have a couple of Greylag geese on the farm, as guard geese, to sound the alert by it's loud crackling noise if a fox was raiding the hen coop.



With the help of a magnifying glass I could see that the number was 3 4 7.


The Domestic goose, anser anser domestic.



Not a flattering portrait. :=)



Sticking your tongue out is rude, but you are forgiven because of your beautiful eyes.


A  sleeping Greylag goose



One more pigeon capture taken in the park and then we both felt peckish so as our favourite confectioners was closed, we went to another which we had become patrons of and had tea, and the cakes were really delicious. I then purchased some Parma ham and a freshly baked croissant for my dinner. Happy Days!

34 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sonjia,
I am glad your feeder could be fixed, your DIL did a great job.
It is nice when you do not have to go far to enjoy a walk outdoors and to see the birds. The pigeons are colorful and pretty. I like the geese, they are cute. Your tea and dinner sounds tasty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

Nancy Chan said...

So naughty of the squirrel to unscrew the base of the feeder and ran away with it. Glad you were able to find a suitable base to replace the original one. Good shots of the pigeon plus the sleeping one. Beautiful shots of the geese. I have never seen a sleeping goose.

Tom said...

...we have such a fabulous collection today, I just have a gaggle of geese!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Squirrels are amazing little creatures, Sonjia, with the brain of Einstein! Maybe better! After all, he only talked about relativity, they can dismantle bird feeders! I too had a branch snap recently and my feeder crashed to the ground. It has a couple of dings in it, but is working okay. Here we have to contend with marauding raccoons in addition to two types of squirrel! Your visit to the park with Eva sounds quite lovely. We should all have a daughter like Eva. Mine lives a six-hour drive away so there are no weekly visits. I am very fond of geese and Greylag Geese always make me think of Konrad Lorenz. I hope the miserable weather you have been having soon comes to an end and you can regale us with stories and pictures from the best wildlife balcony in Portugal. Big hugs from Ontario - David

Marit said...

Dear Sonjia,

Your photos are so beautiful! Squirrels are very intelligent and naughty. I have them here too, they always do much damage.
The pigeons have a lovely color.

Happy weekend!

Warm hugs, Marit

Marijke said...

Hello sonjia great that you don't have to go far to see and enjoy this beautiful birds. Fantastic weekend.
Marijke

Marijke said...

Hello sonjia great that you don't have to go far to see and enjoy this beautiful birds. Fantastic weekend.
Marijke

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That fox scared me...I thought it was alive! How nice to get out and see so many interesting birds. That squirrel is determined, isn't it? lol

Bill said...

Beautiful photos of the geese and pigeons. I thought the fox was real and had something in his sight until I read it wasn't real. Having a park near you sounds so good and glad that you can enjoy it and all the wildlife you see. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

Teresa said...

Me encantó tu paseo y de verte feliz con tu hija Eva. Los retratos se ven preciosos. Abrazos para las dos.

Jeanie said...

So many gorgeous birds! (And I always bang on the window when the squirrel hits the feeder, too!)

DeniseinVA said...

Dear Sonjia, always delighted to visit to see what treats you have for us. You never disappoint, I loved each and every photo. Happy weekend to you!

Nick Morgan said...

Interesting post Sonjia. How funny about the fox! I am sorry to hear your weather isn't too good, but I will swap you for our snow and frosts which we are experiencing just now.
Before that we had high winds, which brought a few trees down.
I think I would forgive the squirrels, as you have red squirrels, which are so much nicer than the greys. We have both here and we are doing all we can to encourage the reds. The grey were introduced into England in Victorian times and they have really had a bad impact on the native red squirrels.
We were delighted to discover that we had pine martens here until one learned how to get into our hen runs and it killed 25 hens in three nights. The remaining hens are in a small fortified run now!

MadSnapper said...

your daughter's repair job looks much more sturdy than the bottom that was stolen by the squirrel. that squirrel at the new repair job looks so funny like he is kissing it.
your pigeons are all so much prettier than ours. ours are drab colors. that pinkish purplish color is beautiful. I know most people hate pigeons but I have loved them since as a 5 year old through 10, we visited the park to feed them peanuts and they ate from our hands. so glad you could get out for a ride and I am laughing my head off at the FOX. tooo funny

Richard Pegler said...

We are quite happy to accept Squirrels here, Sonjia. However, I did try to use plastic feeders many year ago, and we came back from holiday to find the the squirrels had chewed at them and destroyed the feeder ports.

I love the feathering on the necks of Greylag Geese. It looks very architectural.

Your image of the fox had me puzzled until I read your explanation. How bizarre!

It's cold and wet here too, but the snow has nearly all gone today.

Best wishes - - - Richard

Lowcarb team member said...

I am pleased that your feeder could be fixed.
You have shared some lovely photographs, thank you.
I thought the fox was real until I read that it wasn't!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

All the best Jan

J.P. Alexander said...

Me enamoraron los gansos y estupendo trabajo con el comedero de animales. Te mando un beso.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Lovely bird shots! I thought the fox was real.

Irma said...

What great photos.
I had to laugh at what the squirrel did to your feeder, luckily it's fixed again and the birds can eat again and so can the squirrel of course.
The fox was a bit scary to me, but when I read that it was a stuffed fox I understood.
Greetings Irma

Anni said...

That fox is in great shape for as long as she has had it!!!
Great photos as you walked the park. That "rude" goose sticking its tongue out is timed perfectly!!!

Thank you for taking me along on this wonderful excursion of wildlife!

carol l mckenna said...

What a divine series of photos of our 'feathered friends' ~ Wow!

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

sami niilola said...

Wow. Thanks for the really great photos.

Cloudia said...

Your affection for the creatures yields wonderful shots!

Veronica Lee said...

Squirrels are smart creatures!
I enjoyed your stunning series of photos, Sonjia.

Hugs and blessings.

Gardens at Waters East said...

Squirrels a problem in many ways. Here the red squirrels derive away all the other grey squirrels. They are so territorial. They are also very mean.

Rostrose said...

Dear Sonjia,
it was also very stormy here for two days, but the weather has since calmed down again. Are you in Portugal feeling the effects of the early heat wave in Spain that the press was reporting?
Fixing the feeder with the lid of the Nivea can is awesome - a very clever solution! And I had to laugh at the fox - I probably would have wondered if he was alive, too. This reminds me of something our neighbor told us: We have a lantern over our parking lot. And because pigeons were always sitting on the lantern and pooping at our car, we mounted a plastic raven on it to keep pigeons away. That works fine! But our neighbor didn't know this and took a picture of the raven (which he thought was real) because he thought it was so great that the bird behaved so calmly ;-DD You managed to take beautiful photos of the doves and geese in the park - and the two relaxing doves look nice, very cozy, that sleeping place.
All the best - Traude❤️
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/03/costa-rica-8-kapitel-nationalpark.html

R's Rue said...

Beautiful photos.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

Wow what an amazing birdlife you got

Rainbow Evening said...

Domestic goose looks pretty... love it.

# We have the same problems with squirrels.... birds fret to come to feeder... unfortunately.

Debbie said...

i never put anything past those darn squirrels, the are so mischievous!! but, even at that, i enjoy watching them run about the yard!!

you are seeing some really beautiful birds, the splash of purple on the pigeons is so pretty. i see those greylag geese here, they are quite popular!! gorgeous images of the wildlife today!!

Mike Attwood said...

Hello Sonjia, I am fighting fit again, so you will hear a bit more from me now.
Mike.

Len said...

Dear Sonjia,
Great shots as usual.I did try to submit a comment a few days ago but my computer would not let me. Then I got a message from google which in effect said my computer was old and full so I contacted Apple who said I needed an external hard drive to transfer the contents to my laptop.I do not know if I will do this but I need to discuss the matter with my daughters. But I do not want to lose contact with "BREATHTAKING"!

La Biosfera de Lola said...

Hola Sonia. Que maravilla disfrutar de tan espectaculares fotos. Las ardillas son animalitos inteligentes y muy hábiles para conseguir comida. Pero todo lo que nos muestras es maravilloso. Un abrazo

John's Island said...

Dear Sonija, I so admire the way you are able to get these sharp, close-up photos of these delightful, interesting critters. The Fox brought me to a complete stop … and what a surprise to find out it was taxidermized. 😊 Yes, I would have stopped the car too! 😊 It sounds like you and Eva had a wonderful day and ended it in a perfect way with Parma ham and a freshly baked croissant. I love your style! 😊 Lastly, I must comment on the sleeping Greylag goose. It so amazes me how nature has provided that bird a neck that can curl around its body for a completely relaxing sleep. Thank you, Sonija, for another fine post and for your kind comments on my blog. Best regards to you from Seattle! John

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...