Tuesday 9 November 2021

THE SARA MOREIRA PARK.

The mornings are chilly, but after lunch it begins to warm up. It's sunny, with blue skies, and a very pleasant temperature. My daughter Eva and I decided to go by car to the park, enjoy some fresh air and catch up with our news whilst we walked around the park and hopefully I would see something of interest to photograph. It's a large park, with many paths, It is named after Sara Moreira, a 300 metre Portuguese athlete from Santo Tirso. We had a long walk, and  I took lots of photographs.      

 

We made our way to the water to see if there were any ducks.


We had to pass between these two trees to get nearer the water.


The leaves on these trees had changed to a yellowy green colour.


A tree with spectacular autumn coloured leaves. I kept looking upwards at the leaves, to see if I could see any birds


Although I could hear birdsong, there was not a bird in sight.


Unfortunately the ground was waterlogged, so we couldn't get as near as I would have liked, so we had to turn around and take another path higher up.


These  tiny plants growing in the water,caught my attention.


This one looks like a small tree.


When Eva said, "There's a bird on the stone," I said "It's probably a smaller stone," because although it turned out to be a Common Sandpiper, it was motionless and asleep. I did take a photo, but it was not in focus, and then it moved, and flew away. This is the best I could do. 


Nearer the falls the water gushed onto the stones. I watched for a while, enjoying the scene.


The Wall Brown was sunbathing on a large stone, as was the


A Red Admiral, which I had seen quite a lot of in the garden, but I was slightly discouraged that I hadn't seen any birds in the park.
 


Then I heard a rustling of leaves, and finally saw some Warblers. 



They flitted about, hardly keeping still for a second.



They were definitely attracted to something in these trees.



They were right at the top of the tree Canopy, and difficult to get a clear image. They were quite small birds with a pale yellow breast




Could they be Willow Warblers, or a Wood Warblers, they both have the distinctive eye brow stripe and yellow breast. I have been reliably informed that my first inkling was correct.
  


This is a photo I took on the farm, It looks darker in colour, but very similar in other ways.



This is a better shot, of what I now know is a Willow Warbler.




As we were leaving, I took a quick shot of some ducks passing by



A day well spent, and we made plans to make a return visit. 


33 comments:

sami niilola said...

So beautiful park. Lots of interesting to see. Have a nice evening.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
What a beautiful park, I like the views of the colorful trees and the water.
Nice captures of the pretty butterflies, warblers, sandpiper and the ducks.
Take care, enjoy your day!

MadSnapper said...

Absolutely a perfect day. The photos are stunning. the two trees you walked between I just love and all those trees and shadows and waterfall, makes me want to be there and sit and absorb quietly the peace I can see. so glad you had this outing and the warblers are just plain beautiful

Marit said...

Hello Sonjia,
The photos from the park are so beautiful. The Red Admiral butterfly lives in my garden every summer. I miss it in November, because then they have fled away. Maybe they are in Portugal right now :)
Hugs, Marit

La Biosfera de Lola said...

Querida Sonjia las fotos son espectaculares, muy muy muy bonitas. Y el lugar es precioso. Un enorme abrazo.

Jenn Jilks said...

That was a lovely adventure! I enjoyed it.

Melissa Baker said...

Beautiful Photos which match he name of your blog. Truly Breathtaking. New here, looking forward to following!

Richard Pegler said...

What a wonderful place, Sonjia, and it so special that you were able to enjoy it with your daughter. Your excellent photos make me wish I could be there too! I did not know that you also got those fabulous autumn colours as far south as Portugal.

I'm afraid that I can't help with the ID of your warbler, but I hope that you don't mind me pointing out that the butterfly you have as a Speckled Wood is a Wall (Lasiommata megera). It's a species that used to be common local to my home, but has now virtually disappeared from the county. I think that your bird on the stone might be a Common Sandpiper but, not being familiar with birds in Portugal, it could a something else that is similar!

Take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

John's Island said...

I really enjoyed looking over your pictures taken on a long walk. Thank you for sharing. This kind of post is an inspiration to me ... it's my goal to do something similar. Also, thank you for your kind comments on my blog.

Irma said...

What beautiful pictures of the park.
Photo 4 is really great, the color of the tree is so beautiful.
I enjoyed your photos.
Greetings Irma

Mike Attwood said...

Lovely place to walk Sonjia, with plenty of wildlife too. Take care.
Mike.

Lowcarb team member said...

That certainly was a day well spent.
How lovely to have a walk around this beautiful park with your daughter.
I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs, such a lovely selection.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Nancy Chan said...

A day well spent with sightings of the butterflies, birds and ducks. A lovely place.

Phil Slade said...

Sonjia, they look like Willow Warblers to me, feeding on aphids which they love. Common Sandpiper on the rocks too, a typical spot for the species.

Debbie said...

i am sure it was nice catching up with your daughter and you sure did have a lot of photo opportunities!! the butterflies are my favorites with the waterfalls coming in a close second!!

i can't help with identifying the bird but it looks like others may be able to help with that!! the images are beautiful!!

it sounds like we are experiencing similar weather!!

This N That said...

Beautiful pictures as always..Love the falls..Would love to photograph some but they are hours away..I might be able to find some small ones ..2ft..on some creeks around here..That tree in the creek has great roots..Would be interesting to plant it ..Enjoy the rest of your week..

ashok said...

Beautiful park...nice snaps

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thank you for sharing this perfect day! Beautiful weather, wonderful company, and so many lovely photo souvenirs. (And you got some fabulous bird pictures after all!). I loved every moment of your walk.

Linda said...

Delightful post! Looks like a beautiful place.

Rajani Rehana said...

Awesome pictures

DeniseinVA said...

A beautiful area, love your nature photos.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Sonjia

It is great to be out and about with your daughter. What a pretty place for a walk too. I love all the cute warblers, the pretty butterfly and the ducks.
Great sightings and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend!

Shiju Sugunan said...

I would like to visit that park, it looks promising. Loved the sightings and the pics.

My latest post:
https://craniumbolts.blogspot.com/2021/11/trip-to-saul-kere-lake.html

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The Warblers are beautiful. They are here in big flocks right now but it's very hard to photograph them...they flit! You took wonderful photos!

Tom said...

...beautiful images of a spot that I would enjoy visiting!

Anni said...

Sunshine, beautiful tree-lined paths, waterfalls, ohhhh...such a perfect day made even better with birdsong & sightings!!

Thank you for taking time from your day to share with us at IRBB!

Bill said...

Beautiful photos, a wonderful place to explore and enjoy nature.

Bob Bushell said...

Excellent Willow Warbler images, and there is a Wood/Willow Warbler is it hard to tell Sonjia. Autumnal trees are beautiful, those colours.

R's Rue said...

So beautiful.

Jeevan said...

The park looks like a paradise with beautiful falls and autumn colors, and you sound as if there are many birds hidden in the woods to make invisible noises. Glad you were able to shoot a series of photos on the warbler. Have a nice week

Linda said...

It looks so nice... makes me want to be there!

Teresa said...

A mí me gustó todo lo que vistes. Besos.

Elderberry-Rob said...

how wonderful to have chestnut trees 100 years old. The green pod/bubbles in the water are intriguing - maybe spawn for a toad?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...