Friday 5 November 2021

THE EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE Streptopelia decaocto

Collared Doves are common visitors on the farm, and I took these photos last week on the way to Marco and Paula's house. I decided to walk down towards their house with the understanding that I would be given a lift back home, and making the effort paid off,  because I saw two doves foraging under the trees, and was able to get these shots, but  unfortunately they were in the shade, and not together in one photo.


They were probably looking for invertebrates, but they eat seeds, grains, buds, shoots and berries. They like millet, sunflower seeds, wheat, and corn, and they, as you see here, are mainly ground foragers. 


They have a long tail, and their total length is 32 cm with a wingspan of 51 cm. Their colour is a pinky-brown grey colour with the distinctive black neck collar, as the name suggests, and their feet are red.


They originated from India, but now are a common sight in most countries. The male and female are very similar in appearance, and difficult to tell apart. I photographed them both, but can anyone see which is which?


It is the males who show the females potential nest sights, usually in tall trees, but occasionally on buildings. In between these site visits, the pair preen each other. Male doves bring females sticks, twigs, and grass weeds, for their simple nests which usually consist of a platform of sticks. 

 

In warm regions the monogamous pair may raise up to six broods  a  year. The female incubates the eggs during the day, before swapping over at dusk for the male to incubate during the night. Quite right too! :=)



Pairs are often seen perched together on an exposed branch, touching their bills lovingly, like kisses, also on  the head and neck. I find their cooing a peaceful noise, others may find it monotonous, and incredibly annoying.


Doves are often included in weddings, either literally or artistically because they symbolise lifetime love. There is no doubt that they show each other great affection, and although a common sight, they are rather elegant birds and worth a second look when next you see them.


Breeding population is an estimated 50.000 plus pairs in Portugal and the first reported sighting was in the city of Oporto in 1974.


With it's arrival, and expansion through the southern half of Portugal,  in the last decade of the 20th century, it's colonisation of the western Palearctic is complete.


36 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

As you point out, Sonjia Collared Doves are elegant creatures and always worthy of a second look. They have now successfully colonized many regions of North America and are even seen from time to time in southern Ontario. I suspect our cold winters may yet prevent permanent settlement, although year by year winters are becoming milder. I am glad they brought you so much pleasure on your walk. Hugs from Ontario. David

Marit said...

Hello Sonjia,

Your photos are very beautiful. The doves are pretty birds. Here where I live there are very few doves.

Have a nice weekend!

Richard Pegler said...

That's a lovely detailed and beautifully illustrated account of the Collared Dove, Sonjia. It's a species that I'm well familiar with as, for some reason unknown to me, our small garden is a bit of a Collared Dove Magnet. It's not unusual for our garden to record the highest numbers (10 or more at a time) in the whole county some months! We had 11 on Wednesday - and they are always very welcome.

Take good care. Best wishes - - - Richard

MadSnapper said...

I love the way they look and their cooing is sweet music to my ears. i spent many happy hours in a swing on my grandmothers porch listeing to their calls. I did not know then what they were, but connected the sound to my grandmothers house. these are so sweet and no, i can't see much difference in the male/female and boy is that a lot of children

La Biosfera de Lola said...

Hola Sonjia. Me alegra que tu paseo te resultase tan agradable. Las fotos son preciosas y la paloma es elegante y bonita. Un enorme abrazo.

Phil Slade said...

Those are really good photos Sonjia. As you will know, Collared Doves are very common and widespread in the UK. I can look out of the window this week and see a regular 12/15 using the garden across the way where the owner feeds birds. A pair once nested in our garden using an empty garden hanging basket that they filled with sticks. Try it!

R's Rue said...

Beautiful 😍

Nick Morgan said...

Hi Sonjia,
Thank you for your comments on my blog. All is fine here with us, thank you. We have a new Labrador puppy that has been taking up all of our spare time, so I haven't had an opportunity to go on line in a while!! She is well worth it, though. Really affectionate and a great companion for our 8-year yellow Lab.
Lovely pictures of Collared Doves. You have made me realise that I haven't seen any here at our new house. They are reasonably common elsewhere and I adopted one as a child that had fallen out of its nest. Maybe we are just too rural where we are now.

Lowcarb team member said...

I think they are lovely birds and you've shared some very nice photographs here.
Very interesting to read about them too.

Take care, my good wishes.

All the best Jan

Mike Attwood said...

Hello Sonjia,
We have lots of ferral pidgeons in the willage becase people feed them but where I live on the hiil we have a large number of collered doves and of course they like my garden because I feed them. They are a nice quiet clean bird that will grace any garden. Take care.
Mike.
















ashok said...

Lovely bird!

Nancy Chan said...

Beautiful collared doves. I think we have these here and yes, they are mainly ground foragers. Have a beautiful weekend.

LEN said...

Hello Sonjia,
I have not seen too many collared doves in my garden recently. I'm going to replenish my feeders today with the hope that I will attract them. I'm glad that you are managing to walk a bit. I did 7km last Tuesday and 3km yesterday having resolved my problem.

Elderberry-Rob said...

These little birds are pretty, we have similar - wood pigeons - here. The cooing is quite lovely.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The doves are so sweet and lovely. What a beautiful series of photos on the Collared Dove. They can be seen here in various places too. Great post Sonjia!
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for your comment, link and visit.

Jenn Jilks said...

Aren't they lovely!

DeniseinVA said...

It is a pretty bird. I don't have this kind here but we do have the mourning doves and I love to hear their soft cooing to wake up to, such a pleasant alarm clock :) Great photos! I am sure you enjoyed your walk and hope you got that drive home. Happy November!

This N That said...

Doves are a dime a dozen around here. Ground feeders, yes but they are often up into my feeders and 5 feet off the ground.. They are also often seen on the roofs. They seem very calm and peaceful most of the time. I love hearing them. Nice pictures. Enjoy your weekend

Mae Travels said...

Our first US sighting of this bird was in San Diego, California. As you say, it’s extending its range.

Best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

They are so soft and beautiful. We see a lot of Doves here but I don't think we've seen that one. Very beautiful photos!

Bob Bushell said...

Absolutely images of the Collared Dove, thanks Sonjia.

Bill said...

You captured the beauty of the doves, very nice and thanks for sharing.

sami niilola said...

A pleasure to watch great photos. Thank you.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Beautiful shots of the Collared Dove.

Anni said...

Truly, silent treasures. They are beautiful. Great photos.
Thank you for stopping by to add your link from here for all of us at IRBB.

HWIT BLOGG said...

Wow! GREAT pictures of the Dove...
Have a lovely sunday!
Titti

Germán Ibarra Zorrilla said...

Precioso reportaje de la tórtola turca, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos. Un abrazo desde el norte de España.

Tom said...

...during my stays on Maui, the soft sounds of the doves were a welcomed morning sound. Here at home they are a rare sight, Thanks for sharing these beautiful image. Take care and enjoy your week ahead.

magiceye said...

Beautiful captures with some interesting information.

Debbie said...

your walk was rewarded as they often are. the doves are so pretty, peaceful and look much like our mourning doves!! have a wonderful sunday!!

Irma said...

What beautiful pictures of these turtle doves.
They are also common here in the Netherlands.
I enjoyed your photos.
Greetings Irma

carol l mckenna said...

Gorgeous dove photos ~ as you can tell by my blog ~ I love doves ~ Xo


Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Linda said...

Interesting post, fine photos!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Beautiful photos and fascinating information. Great post- thank you. It's my first time her so I read your bio about your photography which I also enjoyed. Thanks

NatureFootstep said...

o, this lovely dove. It was several years since I saw one. :) Lovely photos and great to learn a bit about them. :)

Teresa said...

En mi jardín tengo una pareja y han criado bastante. Tus fotografías están preciosas. Besos.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...