Hello again, how have you been coping with the heat? I haven't been doing well at all . After getting my glasses I have stayed indoors all the time,with blinds closed and curtains drawn but there is no escaping this oppressive heat Eva had a large industrial fan that someone had given her so she gave it to me, and it's been in use day and night but it does little to lower the temperaturet in my bedroom which is 35 degrees so my T-shirts get soaking wet. and the temperature is rising. On the Portuguese news the weather forecast is for temperatures to reach 40 deg within a few days.time, it reached 42 deg in fact for several days. Warm water comes out of the cold tap, and after a shower I hardly need a towel, however that fresh feeling doesn't last long. I try to replace lost liquids by drinking l liter of water a day, ,adding fruit juice and tea, but I have no energy at all. I hear helicopters flying over my house day and night on their way to help firefighters extinguish nearby fires. To me the buckets full of water always appear inadequaetly small to help douse the flames, but apparently they are effective. My lack of energy is the reason I haven't visited anyone or made another post before now. Before the heatwave was at it's peak, both male and female Great Spotted Woodpeckers kept putting in an appearance, but I haven't seen any birds at all lately. They are sheltering from this extreme heat in the foliage of the trees where I see movement and sometimes birds flying from one tree to another in the early hours of the morning but no visitors to my balcony, so as I have no wild life to share I found an old file named "aircraft"and here are a few images of some of them.
This is the lookout helicopter patroling the forest areas for any sign of a fire.
An image of a helicopter with the container of water trailing behind.
A helicopter using another type of container to carry the water.
Working at night.
I was looking through old files yesterday and found one of "Jays in the shade,"
As you have probably guessed it's cooler now, making chores, or any activity easier to acheive. It is 29deg's in my bedroom, still quite hot, but better than before
Please excuse the iregular lines, but for reasons I can't understand, Justify did 'nt work.
24 comments:
...Jade in the shade is one smart bird. When is ever will world "leaders" take climate change seriously? Sonjia...take care and be cool and well!
Hello, Sonjia
I am glad you are cooler there now, the heat wave is over.
I hope the fires out out and everyone stays safe.
Lovely photo of the Jay, it is a beauty!
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Oh, that's way too hot! The forest fires are really frightening.
Here it's "only" 30 degrees, which I find too warm.
Stay well!
/Irene
Dear Sonjia:)
Yes, the heat where you live must be absolutely terrible. Regular fans don't help much. The only thing that helps in the heat is air conditioning. Then the air is cooled down enough to make it livable inside. I hope the temperature drops where you live. It's hot here too, but not as hot as where you live. It's 23 degrees here now after we had a short thunderstorm. Great pictures of the fire helicopter, and of the jay. Take care, and have a nice weekend.
All the best to you!
Warm hugs, Marit
I think the birds are having problem with the heat too. That's a very beautiful shot of the bird.
I hate to be stuck inside but it is too hot here to go out too. I hope and pray you will feel better soon my friend. Hugs Diane
Stay indoors in front of that fan, Sonjia. I hope you get a bit of rain to cool things off. Be well.
Very nice shot of the bird!
It is really quite hot and humid in many places, including here in Montreal, Canada. I drink up to 2 liters of water daily in this! I will be 70 in October, I make sure I stay safe and hydrated. I am happy to hear you are doing this as well.
Your photos are gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing.
Oh my gosh, I saw news about the heat in your part of the world! We have heat here in Alberta, Canada but it is not near as hot as what you are experiencing.The other day I escaped it by going to the mountains where there is still snow. Sending cool thoughts your way! Take care!
Yes, very hot weather does zap one's energy. Stay cool and take care of yourself.
Dear Sonjia,
How terrible this heat we are experiencing in Europe is.
Here too, it was over 35 degrees on June 26th, they issued a red alert here and it was better to stay indoors, which I did as well.
I hope the temperatures drop and the forest fires stop.
The photo of the jay is beautiful.
I wish you a nice Sunday.
All the best, Irma
I was so sorry to hear how much you've been struggling with this awful heatwave. Thank you for the wonderful photos of the helicopters and the Jay despite feeling so drained.
We read and hear daily of the dreadful fires in the Iberian Peninsula, Sonjia, and despair that there is nothing we can do to help. Those temperatures must be truly unbearable. Here it has reached 32 degrees a couple of times and I find even that hard to handle. Stay well and stay cool as best you can. Hugs and kisses - David
Huh huh..those temperatures are terrible. We've had about 30 degrees in Finland and that's too much for me.
This heat is very challenging for both mind and body. There is hardly any relief from the heat where you are.
The terrible fires are making the news here, too.
I send you my warmest regards and hope it gets at least a little cooler soon.
Thank you for sharing your photos dear Sonjia. I am sorry the heat has been so horrid! I do hope those fires can be contained soon. Very wise to stay hydrated. I wish you cooler weather soon. Hugs, Denise
Here in Malaysia, our “normal” July temperatures are already 30–33° most days, but the humidity makes it feel heavier rather than spiking into the 40s like you’ve had. I can imagine how draining that must be, especially with fires nearby. Your helicopter photos capture the urgency so well, and the Jay in the shade is a lovely reminder of how wildlife adapts. I’m glad it has cooled a little for you. Take care and keep hydrated. 🌿
we are suffering the same heat you are here but we have air conditioners because we have heat all the time, but NOT this heat. we are much higher than the old normal. When I walk Beau, it is so hot I have to come home and collaspe
The fires are scary -- I hope things stay safe where you are. We're in the 90s here --not sure how that translates -- but at least today there is a good breeze. I have to go back to the city on Wednesday and that'll be tough!
I hope the weather is improving at your end and that you are able to go out. My mother once told me that when she was a girl they didn't have ACs so they threw water on the floor and it was very cooling.
Amalia
xo
Europe, the UK (and beyond) have had such extreme heat recently.
Wildfires have been terrible, and we have experienced some in the UK too. My thoughts are with all those who have lost loved ones, had to move out of their homes, indeed anyone who has been affected .
Birds and wildlife have of course also been affected.
Please keep as cool as you can and take care.
My good wishes.
All the best Jan
Por aquí también ha hecho mucho calor, en casa se está bien tenemos aíra acondicionado, pero fuera no se puede estar mucho tiempo, Aunque ahora han bajado bastante la temperatura, pero por poco tiempo. Cuídate mucho. Besos.
Hello Sonija,
I can't stand this heat either, and it was 32°C in my room. Luckily, I have an air conditioner in the bedroom, but otherwise I didn't go outside. I wasn't at the computer either, and it took three and a half weeks before I posted a new blog entry.
You can't handle the heat well either, and when I read that it's 40°C where you are, I rush away. The firefighting helicopters aren't making things any cheerier either. I hope things are a bit more pleasant where you are by now.
Kind regards,
Helma
Post a Comment