Tuesday 21 February 2023

THE MOON January and February 2023

Looking out of the window on the  morning of January 7th, at 6. 30 I saw the moon shining brightly above the trees. It was still dark outside, but the moon inspired me to take a few pictures, something I have never had the inclination to do before, and I really don't know why, because it is the Earth's closest astronomical body, and so very important to us, as the moon influences life as we know it on earth.seeing as it makes the earth move, as well as the tides, and it's the brightest night object in the sky. The moon has inspired poets and lyricists to write beautiful poems and songs, and over century's it has been admired and worshipped, and now it's my turn to pay it homage with a few images because without it, humanity would struggle to survive.


January's moon is called the Wolf Moon. 

 l
The Wolf Moon, is the name that was given to the January moon by Medieval Europeans and Native Americans  as it is the time of year when wolves howl their loudest. This folklore has inseparably linked wolves with the moon, and to some extent it is true that wolves howl at the moon, but this is because wolves are nocturnal 


and they tend to howl upwards towards the sky to make the sound carry, but there is no scientific evidence that wolves howl more at a full moon, than any other moon. This photo was taken just an hour after my first attempt.


Folklore is a fascinating subject, but there is usually a logical explanation, as in this case. Wolves make more noise in January and February, as this is their breeding season, in both Europe and North America. Many of you will already know this, but this post is for those of you who don't.


TheWaxing Cresent Moon.Photo taken 24th of January.

The concept of moonlight, is nothing  but sunlight reflecting off the moons surface The Moon doesn't produce it's own light. The sun is actually the only source of light in the solar system. The Moon is Earths natural satellite. Moons are called natural Satellites because they orbit planets.

The moon is not only visible during the night, we can see it during the day. I very often see both the sun and the moon in the sky.The only phases that cannot be seen in the day, are the new moon, and the full moon.


February's first  "Snow Moon" of the year lit up the sky with it's brightness.



Photos taken on February 6th, This image was taken half hour after the one above. February's Full Moon is called the Snow Moon because February is associated with more snowfall. It's distance from Earth makes it a "micromoon" and the smallest full moon of 2023. It's an astrological term for the moon (New Moon or Full Moon) when it is the furthest away from Earth.

Have you ever stopped to wonder what would happen without the moon? Think about it, and let me know what you think would happen and in doing so perhaps you will also gain a new respect for what it means to our planet. 

21 comments:

Richard Pegler said...

An interesting piece, Sonjia. I sometimes find myself photographing the moon and enjoy looking at the detail of craters and what appear to be channels on the surface.

You ask what we think might happen if there wan't a moon - I think that, without a moon, there could not be lunatics, and so the planet might have a brighter future - in spite of the lack of moonlight!

Best wishes - - - Richard

Irma said...

Wonderful story about the moon, the pictures are also very beautiful.

I think without the moon we are a bit rudderless, no ebb and flow and no light in the night and it's not good for animals either.
Greetings Irma

Marit said...

Hello dear Sonjia,

Beautiful photos of the moon! It's intresting news about the wolves. Here in Norway there are many sheepfarmers who hates wolves. the government we have now hates wolves and allows them to be hunted. I think that we need them in our fauna/wildlife.
I usually sleep very poorly, but when it's full moon I hardly sleep. The moon has a great influence on us whether we believe it or not.

Warm hugs.

Len said...

My Dear Sonjia,
We would be quite a different planet without the moon which is a very important element to our survival by way of cycles and seasons. Also the moon you see is the same moon that I see so we can share it between us. I shall look at the moon this evening at 9pm, if there is no cloud cover, and hope that you will do the same and perhaps we can make a wish!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sonjia,

Beautiful captures of the moon! I always love taking photos of the moon and just looking at the moon. Info thanks to my googling, the moon is important. For the tides and it guides the migration cycles of animals, we have 24 hours in a day with the help of the moon's gravity stabilizing the earth's rotation and the stability of our climate. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

Jeevan said...

Excellent capture of the moon and interesting folklore relevant to the wolf. Here, too, I have heard elders say that dogs howl more in the winter, from December to February, but I don't remember hearing them howl loudly during this time. The moon is always my inspiration to write poems, and I admire its presence. Thanks for sharing these beautiful shots of the moon.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Thank you for this very interesting discourse, Astronomer Sonjia. I have been royally entertained by it and enlightened too. I will be sure to discuss the implications of a moonless Planet Earth with my son-in-law, a very keen student of astronomy, but the thing that springs to mind immediately is that we would have no tides, and gravity would surely be affected too. Humans have plans to visit it again, and I just wish we could leave it alone for the wolves to howl at, star-crossed lovers to gaze at, and cheese to curdle as it always has. And what would poets write about without a moon? There would be no "Blue Moon Over Kentucky", Somerset Maugham would not have written "The Moon and Sixpence", and no risqué person would ever have mooned another. The consequences are endless. Thank goodness we won't have to deal with them and when I gaze at the moon tonight I will think of you. Hugs and kisses - David

Marijke said...

Fantastic photo s of the moon. Great you are still on blogger. Have a wonderful day.

Rostrose said...

Dear Sonija,
the moon affects so many things, not only the tides, but also the sleep cycles and the female cycle are related to the moon to some degree. Could the world be without a moon? Scientists disagree as to whether the Earth's axis of rotation would remain stable if we didn't have a moon. It's great that you dedicated a post to this important satellite and your moon photos turned out very well. We have also tried several times to photograph the moon, but very few pictures really succeeded.
Thank you for your nice comment on my 6th travelogue chapter! Meanwhile there is already a 7th chapter :-)
All the best ❤️ - Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/02/costa-rica-7-kapitel-tortuguero.html

Bill said...

Beautiful shots of the moon. I have never taken one that I liked but I still try. :)

Teresa said...

Te quedaron muy bonitas las fotos de la luna. Un abrazo.

DeniseinVA said...

Your moon photos are wonderful Sonjia! I have never been able to take good moon shots and admire these very much. This oist has piqued my interest to learn more. Thank you :)

Rainbow Evening said...

beautiful images and interesting descriptions to read....
have a wonderful day

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

We don't have wolves here, but the Coyotes certainly howl the most in February, as it also is their mating season. I think of the ancient view of the self-illuminated Moon as "the fairest of lights as it shines in the dark when it is most needed."

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Fantastic moon photography ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I loved this post Sonija. I like thinking about all of us photo bloggers from all over the world taking pictures of the same moon (or trying to). I take pictures, but neither my pictures nor my words are as good as yours are in this post! thank you.

Veronica Lee said...

Your moon shots are incredible, Sonjia.

Without a moon, I think many nocturnal flowers would not bloom and moon-inspired songs, poems and paintings would fail to exist!


Hugs and blessings.

Jeanie said...

These are just magnificent -- I've never been able to nail a good moon shot. I'm so impressed. (And thanks for coming by today!)

Debbie said...

WoW!! awesome captures of the moon and some very interesting information!! i am one who enjoys gazing at the moon!!

Debbie said...

i got another error message, i hope you received my comment!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs.

All the best Jan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...