Wednesday 24 August 2022

MOSTLY FLOWERS:


I don't often post flowers, but the flowers that were in bloom in the garden when I took my break  is the subject of my post today. Most of them are still in bloom, and I took these photos a week before Pedro arrived. What a splendid time we had, in spite of the 40 degree heat, we managed to walk in the early mornings, and also Pedro watered my plants on the balcony and was a keen observer of all the activity going on. By 10-30 am, it was already too hot to stay outside, so we spent time in the library, the coolest room in the house. Around 7.00 pm when it had cooled off a little, and just before dinner,  we did a little gardening. I pointed to what needed doing, and Pedro did it. :=))


After the roses finish, the Trumpet Vine  Campsis radicans takes their place, and they hang over the porch at the front entrance. These gorgeous orange tubular flowers bloom all through summer into autumn.


There are many more blooms on the vines now than when I took the photo,and some are still in bud.


These blooms have a more deep pink colour.  


They attract bees and other insects.


The Pink Oleander is an evergreen shrub that blooms all through summer.


The White Oleander in also in bloom right now.



The serrated edged Sweet-William. Dianthus babatus



If you let them go to seed, they will flower every year. 



I pruned mine however, to a third of their height and they flowered again in a lovely profusion. Next year I will buy new plants from the nursery.



The Ocelated Lizard hiding from me in a large Azalia shrub. I heard the rustling of leaves as I passed by, and knew it was a lizard, which makes  a different noise entirely than that of a blackbird. The Blackbird makes sweeping movements as it sifts through the leaves in the undergrowth. I don't see them, but I know they are there.



As you can see my Oleander shrub is huge, and the Bougainvillea
covers one wall of the house.


Pedro turned over a piece of fallen bark, and this gave me the opportunity of photographing a woodlouse.


The butterflies and bees are attracted to the Purple Heather,


which grows in abundance in the rock garden.





Both the blue and the white Agapanthus are in full bloom. 



The birds and squirrels drank so frequently that I had to fill their dish daily.











A portion of a border. Most of my plants are hardy, but the ones that aren't were watered by Pedro with a watering can, as the main water pipe which is underground had a leakage, so for at least a week no water came out of the hoses or sprinklers, because the source of the leak could not be found. The lawn suffered the most, as it is badly scorched, but some plants are reviving, now that the leak has been repaired, and the garden is watered daily.


Does anyone know the name of this shrub? I have been unable to find it's ID. My thanks to everyone who helped with the ID. My shrub is a Loropetalum, chinese var rubrum. Common name is Fire Dance.


It's a colourful shrub, because the leaves can be both green and purple, and the pretty flowers give a good show for a long time. It was given to me when it was in a tiny plant pot, and now it's a meter wide, and just as tall. 


Dailias and Zinnias attract butterflies and other insects. They have nearly finished now, but they flowered a long time, and gave me much pleasure.


The Water Lilies in the garden pond.







This and the next photo were taken in April.



I was so grateful for Pedro's help in the garden. He cut through thick conifer branches, using the long and heavy sheering secateurs  to cut the high branches that were hanging too low, a task I can not do. I can't do much in the garden now, but it was no trouble for Pedro, who is 1 meter 86 cm tall, and full of energy and enthusiasm. Thank you Pedro. :=)

33 comments:

MadSnapper said...

my google lens seach says the plant is loropetalum, chines variety. search for that.
your flowers are AMAZING all of them. your post today has some of everything and all the photos are just stunning, Love your home and the surrounding area and so happy Pedro could help you out. good to see you pop up. you have birds and bees and my favorite is the lizard peering out. he is so handsome. fantastic post today

Marit said...

Hello Sonjia,

I'm glad you are back in the blogworld. I like your beautiful photos of the flowers you have. 40 degrees sounds terrible to me. Here we had 30 degrees in a short time.
I think I can help you with the name of your plant. For many years ago my youngest son had a bonsai of this plant. I have googled many plants the last 30 minutes, and finally I found it (I think). You can google Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Fire Dance'. I hope it can help you.
Best wishes and hugs from your Norwegian blogfriend Marit

Hootin Anni said...

I have one of those plants (used to have two, but one froze & never came back).

It's called Chinese Fringe in the states. Mine is variegated pink.

Such a glorious array of beauty in your palace garden!!!

Richard Pegler said...

What a wonderful garden, and grandson, you have, Sonjia. I can see that you cherish them both! Thank you for brightening my day with you super photos.

Best wishes - - - Richard

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Kudos to Pedro for helping you get the garden work done. Your flowers are all beautiful, I love the bougainvillea and the Oleander. The water lilies are lovely. Cute captures of the lizard, birds and the squirrel. Your garden and property are beautiful. Take care, enjoy your day!

Mike Attwood said...

Sonjia, A lovely garden is the basis of nature. It attracts all sorts ocreatures and prvides many of them with food and nourishment. I think yours is perfect for wildlife. Take care,
Mike.

Irma said...

What a beautiful large garden you have.
Lovely all those flowers brighten everything up.
I also love the tit and the squirrel.
Greetings Irma

Marit said...

Hello Sonjia,

I forgot yesterday to say that your flowers are very beautiful. I especially like love the white oleander and the white waterlilies!
Take care, and all the best.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good morning, Sonjia: I am very happy that you have this wonderful relationship with your grandson and that he has been able to spend some time with you. Your garden looks absolutely stunning and I can only imagine how grand it must be to be able to direct someone to do the weeding. If Pedro needs a little extra practice to keep his skills finely tuned I am very happy to offer my backyard as a training ground for him - room and board provided! Now you see how very generous we Canadians are! Hugs from Ontario - David

Jeevan said...

Your water lilies are gorgeous, and I adored your garden with that charming porch and colorful flower beds! Pedro seems to assist you greatly in keeping the garden in a beautiful state. The weather appears to be exceptionally hot there, as it is in many other European nations, but you can still see blossoms, which is a positive thing. Take care and enjoy nature.

Teresa said...

Todo se ve precioso, me encantó que tu nieto te ayudara. Un abrazo fuerte para los dos.

Yvonne said...

What a beautiful garden so full of life. Must be very enjoyable to just rest in it, and enjoy it with a wonderful grandson. My husband does most of the garden work these days, although I still do the planting, a few a day.

Phil Slade said...

That sounds and feels very hot Sonjia. I do like your flower photos and I never considered taking a portrait of a woodlouse.Its good to see you're doing ok now. Have a nice weekend.

sami niilola said...

Argh, 40 degrees. Too much. But the garden is wonderful. The flowers are really beautiful.
Welcome back.

Linda said...

Beautiful flowers and birds! The squirrel and lizard are cute.

This N That said...

LOvely garden and beautiful flowers..It's nice to have a "Pedro"...Enjoy your weekend..

Nick Morgan said...

Hi Sonjia,
Great to see you back. Your garden is amazing with such a variety of plants that we have in Scotland along with what I consider to be more tropical plants that I see when I am in southern Europe. Despite the hot weather it is looking very lush and healthy.
It is great that Pedro was such good company and so much help. I bet you wish he could stay for ever!!
The temperatures here we only in the low 30s, but that is unusual for here and our plants were struggling. We have had very little rain here this summer and the stream is dry. Many of the trees are already dropping their leaves as a result.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sonjia,
Your garden and flowers are all beautiful. I like the trumpet vine and all the lovely flowers and photos. Cute captures of the birds, lizard and squirrel in your garden. The flowers attract lovely butterflies. Lovely post and collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

Tom said...

...your garden is gorgeous. It's getting to the point that I need help in my garden.

Mae Travels said...

The shy lizard makes a great photo. All your flowers look lovely.

best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Cloudia said...

Beautiful bless you

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The birdbath photo is especially pretty and I love the trumpet flower. What a lovely garden with such a nice variety of flowers. Enjoy your weekend.

Anu said...

Lovely photos.

carol l mckenna said...

Sweet lizard photo and wonderful floral macro photography ~ good you have water for the critters ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Lowcarb team member said...

What a beautiful post, your photographs are lovely.
The flowers so colourful and I do like the one with the Ocelated Lizard.

Enjoy the weekend, it's the last one of August!

All the best Jan

Nancy Chan said...

You have a big and beautiful garden with so many beautiful flowers. Glad the underground water leak has been taken care of and with the help of Pedro, the plants are watered and the garden maintained. Have a great new week.

DeniseinVA said...

You have a beautiful home and garden. Thank you for sharing all these incredible flowers and their little visitors also. Such a pleasure to see them.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Gardens at Waters East said...

Even though you say. you don't often post photos of flowers, I am glad you did today. Some Very nice pictures. The Water Lillies are beautiful!

Bob Bushell said...

Would every the live are be, the Butterfly, the flowers and the water lilies, beautiful Sonjia.

NatureFootstep said...

wonderful and colorful post today Lots to enjoy :)

La Biosfera de Lola said...

Maravilloso tu jardín Sonjia, esta precioso. Las fotos son geniales. Besos

ashok said...

Wow! Amazing photography!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...