Sunday 2 April 2017

Algarve "Louça" for Saturday's Critters


Every so often I like to share something typically Portuguese, and over the years, I have collected twenty four cow creamers, some of which were bought in the Algarve, in a place called Lagos. It's my favourite shop to visit whenever we spend the day there, with the hope of adding one more cow creamer to my collection, and also to see all the beautiful plates. As I'm still not able to get outside, here are a few examples of the colourful hand made "louça" which is sold here  in Portugal. We will be traveling to the Algarve again this week, in search of the beneficial warmth of our southern climate, and staying for at least two months, so this will be my last post before we leave.

My thanks to everyone who left helpful comments, but the situation has still not been resolved even with all your help, but it was very much appreciated, and perhaps my son can solve my comment dilema whilst we're away,...hope so! Happy Blogging Everyone!:=) 

 




Portugal is renowned for it's colourful hand made, hand painted pottery.
 

Their bright colours emulate the colours of the sea, sand, and flora and fauna which are typically Algarvian.
 

Olives and olive oil are exported from Portugal, and are a major ingredient in Portuguese cooking.
 

You will always find the signature of the artist on the base of each piece.
 

I have bought several large plates like this one, to decorate the lounge, and kitchen walls, in the Algarve.
 

One of the cow creamers,  bought from the same shop in Lagos.
 

Another brightly coloured  one.
 

Why do I collect  cow creamers! Well, I  love cows, and think they are fun pieces of ceramics .
 

and as well as being decorative on their own, they look cute used....
 

together, when I use them filled with single cream for pouring.
 

 These two are never apart,.
 

The free flowing designs are characteristic of this pottery's rustic style.
 

As each piece is hand made, hand painted, and decorated, no two pieces are identical.
 



 

A serving dish of ours.
 

A large colourful hand painted plate, ..a favourite of mine.
 

As you can see this type of ceramic is from another Portuguese factory, it's another of my favourites.:)
 
This is my entry this week for Saturday's Critters, and The Bird D' pot, just click on the links to go there, and see more critters from around the world. br /> SATURDAY'S CRITTERS
I'D-RATHER-B-BIRDIN and thank you to both of you for hosting.

24 comments:

Giga said...

I like this colorful ceramics, especially blue plates. Cows are fun. Have a nice holiday in a warm place. Regards.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love all the colorful plates and pottery! Your cow creamers are just adorable. What a cute collection. I hope you enjoy your time away and the warm weather. Thank you so much for linking up your post.
Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

Teresa said...

Son muy bonitos. Que tengas unas lindas vacaciones. Besitos.

Linda said...

Everything is so beautiful and very heartwarming. So lovely to see your post. Hugs.

Hootin Anni said...

Absolutely beautiful craftmanship today! And love the cow creamers!!

Thank you so much for linking up this weekend at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

Hootin Anni said...

ps....your commenting issue in your previous post may have to do with which browser you're using. Try a different browser and see if you google account will show up. For instance if you use Chrome...try Firefox. or visa/versa

sami niilola said...

Hi. Amazing. A joy to watch. Works of art.

matti niilola said...

Hi. Absolutely beautiful. Your photographs are always magnificent to watch.

Mike Attwood said...

Hi Sonjia, Sorry I couldn't help with your computer problem, but have a good trip and come back refreshed, perhaps some genius will have solved your problem by then. Take care, Mike.

The Furry Gnome said...

Colourful dishes!

Len said...

I hope Marc will find a solution to your blogging problem. Google may have changed the parameters but I don't know how you contact them to find out. Loved the dishes and cows.

Stewart M said...

What great designs - I like the blue cow.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

This N That said...

Love the olives and the creamers..That is quite a collection..

Russell Jenkins said...

Really beautiful naturally made objects, each with its own personality!

Lowcarb team member said...

Have a good trip and perhaps you'll bring another creamer home!

All the best Jan

Aritha V. said...

Amazing. I love the colors in it!

Derek Biilington said...

Lovely collection Sonjia, have a safe journey down to the Algarve and I look forward to lots of pic's Love to you both Derek B xx

Debbie said...

ooooh these are so bright and beautiful!! the second set of pottery made my heart skip a beat - that is me!! my mom gave me china, that i don't like. i would actually like to have a piece of each of these collections - a mismatched set. but i have no room and getting rid of the china would break my mothers heart, so i just keep it!!

your cow creamers are so cute, i love anything colorful on my dining table!!!

have fun my friend, i will see you when you return!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love these photos for critters! So much color and beautiful designs. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Diane

Existe Sempre Um Lugar said...

Boa tarde, porque sou algarvio, conheço lagos e as cerâmicas que mostra em belas fotos, são lindas, também tenho algumas, normalmente compro as mesmas no interior do Algarve, assim, consigo peças únicas feitas manualmente, continuação de boas ferias pelas lindas praias.
Votos de Páscoa repleta de alegria! Feliz Páscoa!
AG

Ela said...

Oh, what can I say ...! This pottery is beautiful !!
Happy Easter, dear friend !!

Sharon Wagner said...

I can imagine a grand Easter dinner on one of those plates.

A Casa Madeira said...

I loved the pictures.
Are beautiful.
Janicce

Juliana said...

Oh, hi! What a great pottery!
I like that olives and blue ornaments most of all!

xoxo, Juliana | PJ’ Happies :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...