Tuesday 23 August 2016

Algarve, Bird Ringing at "A ROCHA"

One of the many highlights of this holiday was an impromptu visit to my first bird ringing session. One Thursday morning we were enjoying a country walk, on a narrow dirt road near the Alvor - Estuary, when we encountered a lovely Quinta with various messages pinned to a notice board at the gate. One read, Birds Seen This Week, with an impressive list of birds I had never heard of, but the message that really caught my full attention was an invitation to see a bird ringing demonstration every Thursday, throughout the year, at (10.00 - 12.30). I looked at my watch, it was 10.30 am, and as there was another sign which indicated that dogs were not allowed, Americo said go darling, I'll look after Mel.



The adult female Blue Rock Thrush  Monticola  solitarius
 

It's  a long-bodied,  tapered, thrush-like bird, with a long bill, and dark brown above, and dusky buff below, with close dark bars.
 

The Serin   Serinus serinus.  We see plenty of these little birds on the farm.  It's a greenish/yellowish, streaky finch.

 

If my memory serves me correctly, this is a juvenile  Goldfinch.
 

 I can't remember the name of this camera shy bird., but I'm leaning towards some kind of Warbler! I have since been reliably informed that it is indeed a Warbler called the Whitethroat.
 

The Waxbill  Estrida astrid
 

It's only a small bird but very pretty, and I managed to photograph some in the wild during our stay.
 

 Another Goldfinch picture.
 

"A Rocha" is an international Christian organization which cares for the environment, and is represented in twenty countries. If you would like to know more about it, here is the link www.arocha.pt  click EN to read in English, and see the video.
 

As a late comer, I had to wait until the bird ringing demo had finished to meet some of the team, and a dozen or so other people who had gone to see the demonstration. Tea, coffee, and cakes were served, and everyone was very friendly, and I had a very warm welcome from some of the team members. Here, you can see a gentleman giving a donation of 2 thousand euros to organize group bus trips for school children, so that they too can see a bird ringing sessions, as many schools just cant afford to do this. They would also be able see the exhibition room where nature lectures take place, and also learn more about how to help the environment. Starting at an early age to appreciate and care for our planet is essential. I had a lovely time and as I left the gate and made my way to the car, hubby was all smiles, when he saw me grinning at him from ear to ear.

 Another shot of image number 5,  the Whitethroat. My thanks to Phil Slade for the ID.
 
 Linking up with Wild bird Wednesday, Saturdays Critters and I'd Rather B Birdin. br /> WILD BIRD WEDNESDAYS
SATURDAY'S CRITTERS
I'D RATHER B BIRDIN

35 comments:

Christine said...

Good morning and what a fun interesting post! I could sense you smiling from ear to ear as you wrote this post! Wonderful to see this conservation work in progress! I love that little Waxbill!
Glad you enjoyed your impromptu visit!

Aritha V. said...

Thank you so much. I enjoyed your post with all that nice birds. SUPER!

Gosia said...

wow great collection of birds

eileeninmd said...

Hello, adorable birds and awesome photos. I have never been to a ringing before, it does look interesting.

Have a great day and new week ahead!

MadSnapper said...

this is good news that they are taking care of the planet and all these little banded birds are just beautiful. the fuzzy little camera shy bird is my favorite but they are all beautiful

Debbie said...

WoW!!! how beautiful!!! what an exciting experience!!!!!

Linda said...

What a delightful post gracing my computer screen this morning! The birds are all beautiful and your photos bring me much joy! Thank you so much for sharing.

Ela said...

Wow !! Adorable birds !!
I love your photos !!
Greetings

Marijke said...

I can imagine how large your smile was seeing all this beautiful birds. And i agree with you every school should have the possibility to be an eyewitnes when beautiful, so important projects take place. You made fantastic photo's of the birds. I don't recognize any of them all.
Have a wonderful evening Sonjia (I did remember now and I won't forget).

matti niilola said...

Hi. Bird ringing is really important. Great photos.

Bob Bushell said...

Lovely find in Algarve, beautiful birds in your photos.

Prunella Pepperpot said...

Oh wow what an amazing experience. So many beautiful birds up close and your images are wonderful. I think I would be beaming from ear to ear too. Have a wonderful Wednesday :)

Rohrerbot said...

That is amazing!!!! That looks like a lot of fun. That thrush is incredible. What a treat. And the waxbill is a beauty. I like events like these because you can get up close and personal with native birds. Pretty special stuff.

TexWisGirl said...

a neat thing to be able to watch and be educated to.

DeniseinVA said...

Bird ringing must be a fascinating experience and your photos are once again truly marvelous.

susan said...

very interesting

LEN said...

How lucky to come upon such a wonderful bird ringing project so close to your home. I must visit on my next trip to Alvor.

mick said...

Beautiful birds and great photos. I have wanted to see a bird ringing session for many years but so far no luck! You were very fortunate to see the notice just when you did.
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. Hope the tooth ache is better!

Phil Slade said...

Well that was fortunate you took that path that day. I'm sure that you found the experience very interesting. I wonder if Pete Fearon was there on that day, a lad from Liverpool? I know he goes there a lot. Your mystery warbler is a Whitethroat.

Small Kucing said...

Bird ringing session? It's my first time hearing this. Certainly an interesting experience

Phil Slade said...

Thanks for the info re your camera. I'm looking for a handy pocket camera.Whitethroat is in your "Britain's Birds".

Wendy said...

How lovely to get so close to these beautiful birds. It's also good to read that children are getting involved and are learning more about nature there.

Connie Smiley said...

That must have been fascinating, and you took some wonderful photos!

betty-NZ said...

They are all gorgeous but that bit of red really pops out! What a great way to get photos and help them out at the same time.

Teresa said...

Que lindos. Besitos.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a great thing to come upon by chance! Beautiful and informative to watch and learn and to see all those wonderful birds. That Organization sounds like a remarkable one -- putting their actions to work instead of just words, I really like that! So nice of your husband to stay with the dog so you could go.

Nancy Chan said...

Bird Ringing season is new to me. What a wonderful experience to be able to join and meet some of the members of the team. I like the cute little Waxbill bird!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

You were just in the right place at the right time thaat day adn wonderful to see birds you had never seen before. that is a marvellous organisation. Great shots. Have a lovely weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the ringing is a neat experience. Awesome photos and beautiful birds. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Anni said...

What an enjoyable post!!!! And such an experience I would dream of having once. I just know I'd be hooked on the task and want to do it over and over again.

Such colorful, beautiful images you've shared. The first one, the blue rock thrush, is a 'new' one I've not heard of before today.

Thank you, kindly, for stopping by I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend to add this post to the linking tool. It's always appreciated by us birders and nature lovers!!

A Colorful World said...

This is absolutely wonderful! I've never heard of rocha but it looks like an amazing organization. How wonderful you arrived in time to see some of the bird ringing. Your photos are awesome!

NatureFootstep said...

I would feel sorry for the birds if I did not know how carfully they are handled :) A nice collection and work well done :)

Helma said...

Really beautiful birds. I understand they need to be ringed in order to bring to map the population. Yet I see the birds themselves rather without ring.
Kind regards

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great range of birds and a wonderful experience for you. Perhaps you will make a return visit sometime without the dog so that you can go together.

Derek Biilington said...

Ah Ha!!, now I'm up to date with the bird ringing experience, your excellent photo's of the procedure far exceed the telling of the story. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...