Friday 28 January 2022

A MORNING AT THE ESTUARY.

A  morning spent near the sea, always makes me feel invigorated, and my daughter and I went to Foz do Douro Porto, quite recently, so that I could go to the estuary to see if there were any birds. I had had another exam in the morning, and going without breakfast was one of the requirements, so our first stop was a to find a nice place to have a late breakfast.



We had two large slices of toast smothered in butter and cut into fingers, and two large mugs of coffee with milk, but first, the proprietor asked for a document to prove we had had the three vaccines. It's called the European Vaccination Certificate, which Eve carries in her purse and produces it whenever it's needed.



This is the view we could see from the restaurant. Deserted, and out of season, but still a lovely sea view. We could see people on the beach however, with their dogs, as dogs are allowed to run on the sand at this time of the year.



When we left I took more photos of the restaurants. It was too early for lunch so the tables were not set, but they would soon be occupied by the locals.






Shortly after, I took a photo of two policemen exercising their horses.



The sea was calm, and there was a warm breeze, making the walk very pleasurable, but we still had a long way to go before reaching the estuary.

  




On the other side of the road is a small garden with this pretty fountain. I went there to see if there were any birds, having seen Wagtails, Doves and Blackbirds there before, but no such luck.



In the garden.


There are Palm trees on both sides of the avenue.



A tribute to a famous Portuguese writer, the author of many books, who was born in March 1867, in Foz do Douro Porto. he was the son of a fisherman, who became a captain in the army, a journalist and eventually a writer.



I finally arrived at the estuary, but the sun was in my eyes. Eva had 
settled on a bench some distance away, just enjoying the sea views, as she knew it would be some time before I came back to join her. Eva writes poetry, and has often been inspired by this area of Foz.



There were far more seagulls than usual. There must have been hundreds, spread out on both the sand and the rocks.







There were quite a few Cormorants. and...



a couple of Herons...



Perhaps more, further away.







Nearer to where I was standing, there were so many of these small seagulls. Very dainty little birds called Black- headed gulls.



The adult winter Black-headed gull. 



I took lots of photos of these lovely gulls.







In summer they look quite different, as their face is brown.



I love a bottoms up capture.



They were swimming about in a small colony, no doubt enjoying the sunshine.











I have no idea what these ducks are called, and they looked rather strange, as they slept with their heads tucked away under their feathers.



The one on the left, as it stretched began to look more like a duck.:=)



 I saw Turnstones,  Sandpipers, not shown, and a few more Heron.



One last shot, as I made my way back to my daughter Eva.

37 comments:

Marit said...

Hello Sonjia,

The garden you show looks great. The palms are very beautiful. Beautiful photos of all the birds too.

Hugs from Norway.

MadSnapper said...

God bless Eva for taking you there after your office visit. what a wonderful place to see birds and you did see a lot of them. it is a gorgeous view and I would be happy walking or sitting and I understand the inspiration for both of you, that restaurant is really beautiful and the palms I just love. I am a lover of all types of palms. these are goregouse

La Biosfera de Lola said...

Querida amiga has echo unas fotos preciosas, realmente maravillosas. Y el lugar es muy muy bonito. Abrazos y besos.

Mike Attwood said...

Hi Sonjia, Enchanting place to live and beautifully photographed. I spent a couple of years a long time ago in a place like that but unfortuneately I was in the army at the time and had other things on my mind. Hope you are well and take care.
Mike.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a lovely day! So many great birds, breakfast out with your daughter -- (we will ignore the exam you had to have, but at least it was a great excuse to go to the shore!).....Those black-headed gulls are very pretty . I love to visit the beach, if we went my husband would be sitting on a bench just like your daughter -- while I took pictures. ... by the way, I wish we had European Covid practices here in the US -- we would be so much more comfortable going to a restaurant if we knew everyone was vaccinated. We don't -- so we eat at home.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I could spend all day on a beach where I could watch that much bird life - how lovely it must be there.

Irma said...

What a beautiful garden with the palms.
The birds are great to see, the ducks are Muscovy ducks if I see it right.
Greetings Irma

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sonjia,
What a lovely outing with your daughter. The restaurant has beautiful views of the sea. Looks like a great place to view the birds, I love all the gulls, cormorants and the herons. The ducks are cute. Great series of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

An estuary is a marvellous place to visit, Sonjia, as your pictures portray. In addition to the birds that are immediately visible there is so much other life to be discovered by the curious observer. I have spent many happy hours probing on rocky shores and in tide pools, going way back to some of my earliest memories of nature walks as a child. I think the odd-looking ducks are domestic ducks that have escaped into the wild. They appear to have some Muscovy ancestry. I am sure it was wonderful to spend this time with your daughter. Hugs from Ontario. David

Villrose said...

A beautiful place, and lovely bird shots.

Mae Travels said...

that looks like a lovely morning!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I like the bottoms up capture too! And you sure saw a lot of birds. I know you were happy to get to go there and see so much! Happy weekend.

sami niilola said...

Superb photos. I like a lot. Have a nice evening.

HWIT BLOGG said...

Oh so beautiful! Love every picture...
Have a lovely weekend and take care.
Titti

Tom said...

...a beautiful spot. My part of the world is taking a winter nap. Thanks for sharing glimpses of things to come. Take care and stay well.

Lea said...

Great photos! Love the views of the sea and the gulls!

Bill said...

The garden is absolutely beautiful. It's nice seeing all the birds around the water. It looks like a lovely day to be out and about. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend.

Richard Pegler said...

How wonderful that you were able to spend some time with your daughter in this beautiful tranquil place, Sonjia. I bet it is not so peaceful in summer! I am no expert, but I concurr with Irma on the ID of the Muscovy Ducks. For some reason, I find their red eyes unatractive.

I hope that all was good with your exam. Stay safe - - - Richard

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful images Sonjia, that one is the Muscovy Ducks I think, and the rest are excellent.

Jenn Jilks said...

This is so lovely! It's nice, with our frozen lakes, seeing unfrozen things!
I love the herons, too!
Breathtaking, indeed! Thanks for visiting!

Joan said...

All of the birds are beautiful. I particularly like the dainty Black Headed Gulls. Joan

Shiju Sugunan said...

Beautiful bird photos! I like the horses too.

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful place.

Anni said...

I love going to places during the "off season" and having the place to be alone with nature. Beautiful photos. Those gulls (with the spot on its head, look like Bonaparte gulls)
It's always a pleasure visiting from your link shared. Thanks. And happy birding!

magiceye said...

Delightful captures all!

Gardens at Waters East said...

I live and garden on Lake Michigan, one of the "inland seas" of the USA, so I love looking at any photo of the ocean. Thanks for sharing today.

carol l mckenna said...

Great photos of the shore birds ~ the little ones look like they might be eider ducks ~ similar markings ~ Xo

Wishing you lots of love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy Chan said...

The place has a nice fountain and garden. Beautiful birds at the estuary. Have a great weekend.

Teresa said...

El lugar se ve maravilloso, me encantaría pasear por ahí. Se ven bastantes aves, las fotografías se ven muy bien. Gracias y besos.

LEN said...

Hi Sonjia, Did we eat there in 2019? Lovely photos which took me back down memory lane. Trust you are well.

Debbie said...

oooooh that looks like an awesome restaurant. i like that they ask for proof of vaccination, our restaurants don't do that here. i wish they would!!

the garden is beautiful, the birds are really missing out!! your pictures at the estuary are so pretty, the birds and herons posed nicely for you. we always have a lot of seagulls too!!

i hope you are feeling well!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a nice place to have breakfast with your daughter with such a beautiful view! I loved seeing all the seagulls as I used to see many in New York but not out here in Colorado.

DeniseinVA said...

Foz do Douro Porto is a beautiful area! I enjoyed the sights you saw and how very nice to spend time with your daughter. Thank you for sharing this and I do hope you are well.

Abdel said...

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing :)

Abdel | Infinitely Posh.

NatureFootstep said...

love that beach, wish I could visit :)

Lowcarb team member said...

It looks a very nice place to visit.
I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

All the best Jan

John's Island said...

Hello Sonjia, This post ... Morning at the Estuary ... is an great example of why I am so happy to find your blog. I love the way you took us along on your journey. All the bird photos are so interesting. Beautiful beach area. John

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...